Department: Building Operations Team
Reports to: Building Operations Manager
Salary: £19,305 per annum
Type of contract: Permanent
Working hours and pattern: 37.5 hours – Monday to Friday 2-10pm*, including one 30minute break.
Main Purpose of Job:
To be part of a small team which supports the work of the Centre by ensuring that all facilities and grounds are maintained to the highest standards of cleanliness, security and safety.
Duties and key responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Building Operations Manager, and in co-operation with the Front Desk team, you will support bookings of the Centre’s facilities by:
• Ensuring the rooms are clean and tidy and well lit
• Laying out tables and seating as required
• Ensuring that the facilities are only used for the allotted time
**We are open to discussions about how we structure the terms for the right candidate.
Generally maintaining the premises in a clean and tidy condition including washing and polishing floors, vacuuming carpets, dusting furniture, fittings and sills, cleaning sanitary fittings in toilets, and glass in doors, emptying bins and replacing soap, towels and toilet rolls. Offices and multipurpose areas of the Centre will need to be cleaned on a daily / weekly basis.**
• Allocated time for kitchen cleaning, loading and emptying dishwasher
• Some multipurpose areas will need to be cleaned after each period of use
• All toilets will need to be cleaned regularly and thoroughly
• All glass partitions / mirrors to be cleaned regularly
• Desks which have been cleared should be dusted / polished (IT equipment is the responsibility of office staff)
** Vacuuming, dusting, washing, wiping, polishing, mopping.
Maintaining the premises to a high standard of efficiency by:
• Ensuring that they are adequately heated by programming boilers.
• Changing light bulbs
• Ordering and distributing cleaning materials (while adhering to COSHH regulations), toilet rolls, hand towels and other relevant equipment
• Keeping notice boards up to date with bookings diary
• Providing access for: Meter reading; Lift inspection; All workmen related to agreed maintenance contracts
• Setting out tables and chairs as required
• Moving equipment, boxes or fittings as required
• Receiving and delivery of parcels, post etc
• Any other duties as required by your line manager
Ensuring the general security of the premises by:
• Opening and closing securely
• Overseeing communal areas whilst offices and multipurpose rooms are occupied
• Ensuring that only authorised persons / groups are given access to premises on evenings and weekends
• Discreetly challenging unauthorised persons
• Responding to requests for assistance
• Covering the Front Desk as required
• Responding to emergency call outs as first named custodian (A mobile phone will be provided for this purpose).
Health and Safety
Ensuring the implementation and maintenance of the Centre’s Health and Safety Policy by:-
• Working in conjunction with Operations Manager and Front Desk Administrators in the implementation of fire drills
• Ensuring that there are no build ups of combustible materials in any area of the Centre
• Ensuring that all fire routes and exits are clearly identified and kept clear at all times
• Ensuring that all internal rubbish is emptied into the external bins every night ready for collection
• Noting potential hazards and where practical, dealing with them immediately. When immediate attention is not possible, quickly bringing these to the attention of the Operations Manager.
• Assisting with risk assessments, updating the fire log and completion of monthly Fire Risk Assessment
Although the Caretaker/Cleaner’s shift will predominantly be Monday to Friday, it will be necessary to work morning and Saturday shifts as required by the business.
These duties are correct at time of production but the Centre reserves the right to change, amend or add to these duties as the needs of the Centre change over time.
The successful candidate will be reliable, a team player and a good time-keeper. They will be motivated to perform their duties to the best of their abilities to provide a clean and welcoming Community Hub for the benefit of the people who use our services:
• Excellent time-keeping
• Strong planning and organising skills
• Good verbal communicator and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to use your own initiative and also apply sound judgement when issues need escalating
• Basic DIY skills
• Friendly and confident dealing with the community who use our Hub.
• Previous caretaking experience or customer service